Saturday August 30, 2025 / 07 , Rabi' al-awwal , 1447
Header Logo
Leading The Way
search-icon
Footer Header
search-icon
SG
Saudi Arabia
Opinion
Discover Saudi
World
Sports
Business
Life
Advertisements
search-logo
  • Home
  • World
World
1581 - 1590 from 51336 . In "World"
Yemenis at the Farwah market which Houthis say was struck by U.S. airstrikes in Sanaa, 21 April, 2025
At least 12 killed in fresh US air strikes on Yemen capital Sanaa, Houthis say
SANAA — At least 12 people have been killed and 30 others wounded in a US air strike on Yemen's capital, the Houthis rebels have said.The deaths mark the latest in Washington's intensified campaign of strikes targeting the Iran-backed rebels.The US military's Central Command declined to answer questions about the strike or discuss civilian casualties from its campaign.The Houthis described the strike as hitting the Farwa neighborhood market in Sanaa's Shuub district. That area has been targeted before by US forces.Footage aired by the Houthis' al-Masirah satellite news channel showed damage to vehicles and buildings in the area, with screaming onlookers holding what appeared to be a dead child.Others wailed on stretchers heading into a hospital.Strikes overnight into...
April 21, 2025

At least 12 killed in fresh US air strikes on Yemen capital Sanaa, Houthis say

The head of Sri Lanka's Roman Catholic church Cardinal Malcolm Ranjith (C) places a candle in front of a plaque as he pays respect to the victims of the 2019 Easter Sunday bombings on the 6th anniversary of the suicide attacks, as Vatican ambassador to Colombo Archbishop Brian Udaigwe (L) and Buddhist monk Omalpe Sobitha watch outside the St. Anthony's church in Colombo on April 21, 2025.
Sri Lanka Easter bombings victims named 'heroes of faith' by Vatican
SINGAPORE — The Vatican has named 167 people who died in the 2019 Easter bombings in Sri Lanka as "heroes of faith".The country's cardinal, Malcolm Ranjith, made the announcement at an event to commemorate the sixth anniversary of the suicide attacks which targeted Catholic churches and five-star hotels during Easter Sunday mass, killing 269 people.Those recognized by the Vatican were Catholic faithful attending mass at the churches that were attacked.The bombings shook the country, which had not seen such levels of violence since the end of a civil war in 2009. However, since then investigations into the attacks have been controversial.There has been public criticism from families of the victims and from the island's minority Christian community, who accuse the...
April 21, 2025

Sri Lanka Easter bombings victims named 'heroes of faith' by Vatican

People arrive for the Orthodox Easter service at the Church of Archistratigus Michael which was damaged in the course of Russia-Ukraine conflict and is now being restored, in Avdiivka (Avdeyevka), in the Donetsk region, a Russian-controlled area of Ukraine, April 20, 2025.
Ukraine reports many Russian drone attacks after truce ends
KYIV — Ukraine's military has reported Russian drone attacks on several regions overnight, just hours after the end of a 30-hour "Easter truce" declared by Moscow.Air raid alerts were issued by Ukraine's air force for the Kyiv region, as well as Kherson, Dnipropetrovsk, Cherkasy, Mykolaiv and Zaporizhzhia.In the southern city of Mykolaiv, Mayor Oleksandr Senkevych said "explosions were heard". It was not immediately clear whether there were any casualties.Russia's defense ministry confirmed it has resumed fighting, adding that its military had "strictly observed the ceasefire and remained at the previously occupied lines and positions".The truce declared by President Vladimir Putin expired at midnight on Sunday Moscow time (21:00 GMT). Both sides...
April 21, 2025

Ukraine reports many Russian drone attacks after truce ends

US Vice-President JD Vance is on a four-day India tour
Vance to meet Modi in Delhi amid tariff tensions
NEW DELHI — US Vice President JD Vance has arrived in the Indian capital where he is due to hold talks with Prime Minister Narendra Modi amid global trade tensions sparked by Washington's tariff policies.The talks are likely to focus on fast tracking a much-awaited bilateral trade deal between the two countries.Vance is also expected to go on a sightseeing tour of Agra and Jaipur with his family.His visit comes as countries across the world rush to negotiate a trade deal before US President Donald Trump's 90-day pause on reciprocal tariffs ends on 9 July."The two sides will also exchange views on regional and global developments of mutual interest," India's foreign ministry said ahead of Vance's visit.The vice-president is accompanied by his children and wife...
April 21, 2025

Vance to meet Modi in Delhi amid tariff tensions

Chinese leader Xi Jinping attends a meeting at the Presidential Palace in Hanoi, Vietnam on April 15, 2025 on his three-nation tour of Southeast Asia
Beijing warns countries against colluding with US to restrict trade with China
HONG KONG — Beijing has warned its trading partners against succumbing to US pressure to isolate China in President Donald Trump’s tariff war, as part of its carrot-and-stick approach to win over countries caught between the world’s two largest economies.Commenting on recent media reports about the Trump administration’s plans to pressure countries into restricting trade with China in exchange for exemptions from US tariffs, a spokesperson for China’s Commerce Ministry said on Monday: “Appeasement does not bring peace, and compromise does not earn respect.”“Seeking temporary self-interest at the expense of others — in exchange for so-called exemptions — is like asking a tiger for its skin. In the end, it will achieve nothing and harm both others and oneself,” the...
April 21, 2025

Beijing warns countries against colluding with US to restrict trade with China

People walk through a residential neighbourhood that has been heavily damaged by air attacks in Kostyantynivka, in the eastern Donetsk region, on April 20, 2025
Putin accused of breaching own truce as brief pause to fighting in Ukraine ends
KYIV — Ukraine accused Russia of breaching the Easter truce that was announced without prior warning by Russian President Vladimir Putin on Saturday, with Ukraine’s President Volodymyr Zelensky accusing Putin of only being interested in PR.In a surprise move on Saturday, Putin said he had ordered his forces to “stop all military activity” from 6 p.m. Moscow time that day (11 a.m. ET) until midnight Sunday into Monday (5 p.m. Sunday ET).Ukrainian officials urged Russia to extend the truce. However, the expiration time came with no mention of an extension from Russia.Earlier on Sunday, Kremlin spokesperson Dmitry Peskov said that Putin had not given a command to extend the brief Easter ceasefire beyond the previously announced timeframe, according to the Russian state news agency...
April 21, 2025

Putin accused of breaching own truce as brief pause to fighting in Ukraine ends

Hashem Abedi attacked officers at HMP Frankland in County Durham
Prison staff to demand electric stun guns in jails
LONDON — Prison officers are to demand that staff be immediately given electric stun guns to protect themselves while guarding the UK's most dangerous jails when they meet the justice secretary on Wednesday.The meeting with Shabana Mahmood comes after Hashem Abedi, one of the men responsible for the Manchester Arena bombing, threw hot oil at officers and stabbed them with makeshift weapons at HMP Frankland in County Durham.Mark Fairhurst, national chair of the Prison Officers' Association (POA), told the BBC that they are "calling for the tactical use of taser".In a statement, Mahmood said, "we must do to better protect our prison officers in the future".Speaking to BBC Breakfast, Mr Fairhurst said: "My concerns are that when we face life-threatening...
April 21, 2025

Prison staff to demand electric stun guns in jails

Pete Hegseth
Hegseth shared detailed military plans in second Signal chat that included his wife and brother
WASHINGTON — Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth shared detailed plans about a military operation against the Houthis in Yemen on a second Signal group chat, this one on his personal phone and including his wife, lawyer and brother, three people familiar with the chat told CNN.The chat was set up during Hegseth’s tumultuous confirmation hearing process as a way for his closest allies to strategize, two of the people familiar with the matter said. But Hegseth continued using the chat, which had more than a dozen people in it, to communicate after he was confirmed, the people said.The revelation comes as some of Hegseth’s closest advisers have begun sounding the alarm about the secretary’s judgment, including his former press secretary, John Ullyot, and three former senior officials...
April 21, 2025

Hegseth shared detailed military plans in second Signal chat that included his wife and brother

Alleged gang members sit in a prison cell at the Terrorism Confinement Center in El Salvador
El Salvador offers Venezuela prisoner swap involving US deportees
SAN SALVADOR — El Salvador's president has offered to repatriate 252 Venezuelans deported by the US and imprisoned in his country — if Venezuela releases the same number of political prisoners.Nayib Bukele appealed directly to Venezuelan President Nicolás Maduro in a post on social media.He said many of the Venezuelan deportees had committed "rape and murder", while Venezuelan political prisoners were jailed only because they opposed Maduro, whose re-election last year is widely disputed.The Venezuelan government argues that it has no political prisoners — a claim rejected by rights groups.In a post on X, Bukele wrote: "I want to propose you [Maduro] a humanitarian agreement calling for the repatriation of 100% of the 252 Venezuelans who were deported, in exchange...
April 21, 2025

El Salvador offers Venezuela prisoner swap involving US deportees

Israeli probe finds ‘professional failures’ in killing of 15 Palestinian medics in Gaza
JERUSALEM — An Israeli military investigation into the killing of 15 Palestinian medics in Gaza last month has concluded that “professional failures” occurred during the operation and announced the dismissal of a deputy battalion commander involved in the incident. The probe followed the deaths of emergency workers on March 23 in Tel al-Sultan, a district of Rafah in southern Gaza, where Israeli troops opened fire on ambulances responding to an earlier strike. Initial Israeli claims suggested that the vehicles lacked emergency markings, but cellphone footage recovered from one of the victims showed flashing lights and visible medical logos at the time of the shooting. According to the investigation, the deputy commander mistakenly identified the ambulances as belonging to Hamas...
April 20, 2025

Israeli probe finds ‘professional failures’ in killing of 15 Palestinian medics in Gaza

< Previous Next >
footer logo
COPYRIGHT © 2025 WWW.SAUDIGAZETTE.COM.SA - ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
Powered by NewsPress
NEWS CATEGORY
saudi arabia world opinion business sports esports life
COMPANY
advertisements about us Epaper contact us Archive privacy policy