Sports

Brazilian footballer Neymar faces fraud trial in Barcelona

July 27, 2022
Neymar
Neymar

BARCELONA — Nine years after footballer Neymar moved from Brazil to Barcelona, he faces trial for alleged irregularities surrounding the transfer.

In a legal saga that has dragged on for years, the Brazilian international who now plays for Paris Saint-Germain is accused of fraud and corruption.

The trial is due to take place for two weeks from 17 October, a month before the World Cup in Qatar.

Several other figures are also due to stand trial.

Two former presidents of Barcelona football club, Josep Maria Bartomeu and Sandro Rosell, as well as Neymar's parents face the same allegations, according to Spanish reports.

All those involved in the case have long denied the allegations, made by investment fund DIS, which argued it was entitled to 40% of Neymar's 2013 transfer fee when he left Brazilian club Santos.

DIS said it had received far less than it should have, as part of the transfer fee had been concealed.

Neymar's expensive transfer fees have long been overshadowed by legal rows.

A year ago, Barcelona reached an out-of-court settlement with the footballer surrounding his €222m (£185m) move to Paris St-Germain in 2017. The club said at the time he should pay back millions of euros he had received when he signed a new contract in 2016.

In an earlier Barcelona court case covering the transfer from Santos, dubbed Neymar 1, the club were told to pay a €5.5m fine because of irregularities in the move. — BBC


July 27, 2022
270 views
HIGHLIGHTS
Sports
12 hours ago

Barcelona sells more assets as it hopes to register players

Sports
12 hours ago

Benzema, Courtois, De Bruyne on shortlist for UEFA award

Sports
5 days ago

Manchester United must let Ronaldo leave, says Rooney