Jeddah – The Summary Court dropped Wednesday the charges against a TV cameraman who took part in filming a misyar marriage episode earlier this year in the Kingdom, broadcast on the Lebanese satellite channel LBC show “Bold Red Line.”
The court transferred the case to the Ministry of Culture and Information, thus annulling its earlier sentence of a three-month prison term, 70 lashes of the whip, and a two-year travel ban handed down to the cameraman.
The court’s decision came after King Abdullah, Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques, waived on Monday a Jeddah court’s sentence of 60 lashes of the whip for a Saudi female journalist who had been charged with preparing a provocative TV show in which Mazen Abdul Jawad, a Saudi national, in July talked about his sexual adventures. The King also ordered the transfer of the case to the Ministry of Culture and Information as the government body tasked with looking into media-related disputes.
Abdul Jawad’s lawyer Soleiman Al-Jumai’i said that he was waiting for the verdict against his client of a five-year prison term and 1,000 lashes of the whip to be suspended and for the case to be transferred to the Ministry of Culture and Information.
Al-Jumai’i said that all the verdicts against Abdul Jawad’s friends who appeared with him in the show should be annulled too and the cases be transferred to the Ministry of Culture and Information.
Abdul Jawad’s friends were given two-year prison terms and 300 lashes each, while a cameraman who helped film the episode was sentenced to two months in jail.
The lawyer said the court had nothing to do with the case to begin with. – Okaz/SG