Saudi Arabia reports third coronavirus death as total cases top 1,000 

21330 views



Saudi Gazette report

RIYADH — Saudi Arabia on Thursday reported 112 new confirmed cases of coronavirus, bringing the total number of infections in the Kingdom 1,012, according to Dr. Muhammad Al-Abdel Ali, spokesman of the Ministry of Health. He also confirmed one more death from the virus, raising the total number of fatalities to three.

The spokesman said in a press briefing that a total of 33 people have so far recovered from coronavirus in the Kingdom. He said 100 people among the 112 new cases contracted the disease through their direct contact with the infected people and they are now under medical supervision while the remaining 12 cases are related to travel abroad and have since been quarantined.

Most of the new cases, 60 in number, were reported in Riyadh and Makkah. There were 34 new cases in Riyadh, 26 in Makkah, 18 in Taif, 13 in Jeddah, six in Dammam, five in Qatif, three in Madinah, while two cases each in Al-Khobar and Hofuf, and one case each in Dhahran, Buraidah and Khafji.

Giving details on the fatalities, the spokesman said that the latest victim was an expatriate from Madinah, who had chronic diseases, including hyper tension, diabetes and cardiac function deficiency. The first death, an Afghan national, was also reported from Madinah on Monday. The spokesman said that there are six critical cases in intensive care units while there are four new recovery cases, bringing the total number of recoveries to 33.


He said that there are 23 health practitioners among the infected people and their infection was not linked to outbreaks in health facilities except one private facility in the Riyadh region about which an announcement was already made. At the Riyadh health facility, the outbreak was limited and under control, and it was closed as a precautionary measure ever since the detection of the cases.

There are a total of 13,000 people in quarantine and medical isolation, of which 4,000 are in quarantine and 9,000 in medical isolation and home isolation, the spokesman added.

Attending the press briefing, Lt. Col. Talal Al-Shalhoub, spokesman of the Ministry of Interior, said that all roads between various regions of the Kingdom and those leading to the cities of Riyadh, Makkah and Madinah, as well as agricultural passages, coastal roads and all mud roads are under the control of the security forces. “There are some people who are reckless with regard to the curfew decision and necessary measures have been taken against them. The curfew decision stipulated that people should stay at home, and it does not mean that they do their work outside their homes,” he said adding that this is a violation involving penal action.

For his part, spokesperson of the Ministry of Commerce said that there are new regulations for shopping under which the entry will be in batches so as to ensure the highest levels of health safety,” he said, adding that there will be offers and discounts for online purchases so as to avoid crowding.


21330 views