Top S. Korea director Kim Ki-duk accused of rape

Kim Ki-duk

SEOUL - A South Korean actress has accused award-winning film director Kim Ki-duk and a top actor of rape, as the country's nascent #MeToo movement begins to spiral. The fresh allegations against Kim come after his presence at this year's Berlin Film Festival caused controversy following a fine for physically assaulting a different actress.

In the latest case an actress, who refused to be named, said that Kim repeatedly tried to enter her hotel room when they were shooting a movie in a remote village several years ago.

"It was a living hell... so many nights, he came to my room and slammed the door or phoned me at the room repeatedly until I responded," she told Seoul's MBC television station.

Kim eventually summoned her to his room to "discuss a script", she went on. "Then he raped me."

The film's male star Cho Jae-hyun also raped her, she said.

The two men "shared stories of raping actresses and there was a sense of competition between them", she said in an investigation aired late Tuesday.

The actress said she had quit acting afterwards and was in therapy for years.

Her accusations come as the #MeToo movement gradually gains ground in South Korea, which remains socially conservative and patriarchal in many respects despite its economic and technological advances.

Earlier this week a provincial governor and former presidential contender resigned after an aide accused him of multiple rapes. - AFP